The official release of Science and the Mind of the Maker: What the Conversation Between Faith and Science Reveals About God is just under one month away! My author copies arrived just a few days ago, and I thought I’d record a very cheesy “unboxing” video just for the fun of it. 🙂 (See below.)
If you are not familiar with the publishing world, you should know that the few weeks leading up to a book’s release and the few weeks immediately after are absolutely crucial to the success of the book. Retailers (Barnes and Noble, Lifeway, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) look at these numbers to decide whether or not to stock the book in their brick-and-mortar stores. What this means for the author (in terms of the publisher’s expectations) is weeks and weeks of incessant book promotion. This is incredibly difficult for me, because I am well aware of how tiresome it becomes when someone in your social media sphere or your personal sphere is constantly plugging their work! Ugh!! But, the truth of the matter is, promotional activities are absolutely necessary to the success of the book, and how well the book does right out of the starting gate determines whether or not the author is granted additional contracts.
So, with that said, I am not going to bombard you all with a zillion blog posts, tweets, facebook posts, and instagram pics all summer long. Those will show up only occasionally. This post is my big official request to those who value my work: Would you please consider any of the following 10 ways you can help make this book launch a success?
1. Pre-order Science and the Mind of the Maker! Pre-orders are a Really Big Deal!
2. Tweet or post a pre-order link to your social media outlets and say a few words about why you ordered it.
3. Once your copy arrives, take a picture (selfie or just the book) and tweet/post it, being sure to include my handle so I can see it! On twitter, I’m @texapolochick, on Instagram I’m melissa_cain_travis, and on facebook, I’m Melissa Cain Travis.
4. Quote your favorite passages on twitter/facebook.
5. Offer an honest review on book retailer websites.
6. Blog a review if you’re a blogger. Podcast about it if you’re a podcaster (I’m available to participate in podcasts, with enough advance notice!)
7. Tell your family and friends about the book.
8. If you’re part of a reading circle, consider using the book as your selection sometime soon. I’ll be video-chatting with reading groups around the world throughout the remainder of this year! Contact me for information on how to get your group included in my very limited schedule.
9. Give the book as a gift to those in your life interested in the intellectual element of the Christian faith.
10. Pray for the book to reach many readers and advance Christ’s Kingdom!